Wonder Week Safari & Cultural Tourism Package
Private 7 day/6-night safari to Tarangire, Lake Manyara, Olduvai Gorge, Serengeti, Ngorongoro Crater and Lake Eyasi Cultural Tourism, plus 2 nights’ accommodation at The Vijiji Center Lodge and Safari in Arusha, and 2 airport transfers.
(Add an extra night for a more relaxed experience for just $40 USD/person!)
$2995 USD/person (based on two adults sharing)
Price based on double occupancy and includes:
- 2 nights’ accommodation (including breakfast) at The Vijiji Center Lodge & Safari, Arusha
- Airport pickup and drop off
- 7 day/6-night private safari in a 4 x 4 safari vehicle with pop-up wildlife viewing roof
- Experienced, professional driver/guide
- All national park and conservation area entrance fees
- Cultural tourism fees
- All meals and accommodations while staying in the safari lodges and hotels
Prices do not include:
- Beverages such as soda, bottled water and alcohol purchased while staying at the safari lodges or at The Vijiji Center
- Lunch or dinner at The Vijiji Center; these are available at an extra charge
- Gratuities for your driver/guide, staff at the safari lodges or for the staff at The Vijiji Center
- This package lets you do it all – from exploring the incredible biological diversity of the Northern Circuit Parks to experiencing first-hand the amazing cultural diversity of Tanzania’s tribal peoples!
- Full-day safari in Tarangire National Park, with majestic baobab trees, sweeping grasslands and stunning vistas of the lush river valley. Tarangire is home to large herds of elephants, a variety of herbivores (zebra, antelope, buffalo and wildebeest), the playful warthog, cheetahs, leopards and lions, and a host of birds and other creatures.
- Full-day safari in Lake Manyara National Park, home of the famous tree-climbing lions. This park borders a large lake that offers year-round water for a wide variety of species, including hippos and flamingos. In the forests, you’ll see large troops of baboons, elephants and giraffe, while the open areas provide habitat for zebra, wildebeest, buffalo and antelope.
- Visit a Maasai boma for cultural tourism and a chance to learn about the traditional way of life of one of Tanzania’s most recognized tribes.
- Visit Olduvai Gorge, a UNESCO World Heritage Site considered one of the Cradles of Humankind, and learn about over 2 million years of human evolution in East Africa.
- Travel to the world-famous Serengeti and spend 3 nights in a tented lodge surrounded by the sights and sounds of the “endless plains”. And, enjoy a two full days of game drives exploring the sweeping grasslands, meandering rivers and lush wetlands of the Seronera region in search of wildebeest, zebra, hippos, giraffe, buffalo and of course, lions, leopards and cheetahs.
- Full-day safari to The Ngorongoro Crater, the world’s largest unflooded, unbroken volcanic caldera, and a truly breathtaking natural wonder that’s home to several prides of lions, as well as hippos, wildebeest, zebra, gazelle and buffalo and offers your best chance to spot the elusive black rhino.
- Full day of cultural tourism in the Lake Eyasi region, home to peoples of diverse cultural backgrounds, including the Hadzabe hunter gatherers, the Datoga blacksmiths and the Iraqw agriculturalists.
- 2 nights’ safari accommodation at Burudika Manyara Lodge (http://burudikalodges.com) or similar accommodations, subject to availability
- 3 nights’ safari accommodations at ThorneTree Camp (http://thorntreecamp.com) or similar accommodations depending upon availability
- 1 night’s safari accommodation at Bougainvillea Safari Lodge (http://bougainvilleasafarilodge.com) or similar accommodations depending upon availability
- 2 nights’ accommodations at The Vijiji Center Lodge and Safari in Arusha
Itinerary in Brief
- Day 1: Karibu – welcome - to Tanzania. Our driver will meet you at the airport outside of Arrivals and bring you to The Vijiji Center for overnight.
- Day 2: After an early breakfast at The Vijiji Center, you’ll travel west through Maasai homelands into the Great Rift Valley and Tarangire National Park. Spend the day on game drive in the park, with a picnic lunch overlooking the Tarangire River. Leave the park late afternoon and travel to the town of Mto wa Mbu on the shores of Lake Manyara for dinner and overnight at Burudika Manyara Lodge.
- Day 3: After a leisurely breakfast at camp, make the short drive to Lake Manyara National Park for your full-day game drive. Explore the forests, watching for the famous tree-climbing lions, large troops of baboons, as well as blue monkeys and green vervet monkeys. Picnic overlooking the lake, and continue safari in search of elephants, giraffe, wildebeest, zebra and their friends. Leave the park in the late afternoon and visit a nearby Maasai Boma, to learn about their traditional way of life. Return to Burudika Manyara Lodge for dinner and overnight.
- Day 4: After an early breakfast at the lodge, travel from the Great Rift Valley up into the Ngorongoro Highlands as you make your way to the Serengeti. The trip takes approximately 5 hours, and with a stop at Olduvai Gorge, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, to visit the interpretive center and have lunch. After lunch, continue to the Serengeti, with a brief stop at the park gates, and then safari en route to Thornetree Camp for dinner and overnight.
- Day 5: Rise with the sun today for an early morning game drive and a chance to spot the big cats with their prey. Return to camp late morning for a hot lunch and time to relax. Venture out again in the late afternoon for another game drive, returning before sunset for dinner and overnight at ThorneTree Camp.
- Day 6: Enjoy another full day exploring the sweeping grasslands, meandering rivers and lush wetlands of the Seronera region in search of wildebeest, zebra, hippos, giraffe, buffalo and of course, lions, leopards and cheetahs. The day starts with an early morning game drive, followed by a hot lunch back at camp and a late afternoon game drive. Return to ThorneTree Camp before sunset for dinner and overnight
- Day 7: After an early breakfast, safari en route out of the Serengeti and back into the Ngorongoro Conservation Area. At the rim of the Crater, stop to enjoy the spectacular view and take a few photos before descending the steep slope to the Crater’s floor for your game drive. Enjoy a picnic lunch beside a large wetland, with plenty of hippos to entertain. In late afternoon, ascend out of the Crater and travel to nearby town of Karatu for dinner and overnight at Bougainvillea Safari Lodge.
- Day 8: After breakfast, travel to the Lake Eyasi region for a day of cultural tourism and a chance to learn about some of the many tribes of Tanzania. This area is the traditional homeland of the Hadzabe hunter gatherers, the Datoga blacksmiths and the Iraqw agriculturalists. The day begins with an early morning visit to the Hadzabe camp, to follow the men in a hunt, spend time with the women and children, and perhaps try your hand at shooting a bow and arrow. Then, drive a short distance to the home of a Datoga family for a metal-working demonstration and picnic lunch. There is an opportunity to purchase crafts from both the Hadzabe and the Datoga. After lunch, and time permitting, visit the Iraqw village and learn about their agricultural practices before returning to Arusha for overnight at The Vijiji Center.
- Day 9: After breakfast, relax at The Vijiji Center or, for an additional charge, take one of our cultural tours (https://vijijicenter.com/vijiji-cultural-tours-and-activities.html) before our driver takes you to the airport for your return flight. Karibu tena Tanzania!
Have any questions regarding this Safari? Click here to contact us.