The Vijiji Foundation
Our social projects are managed and directed by The Vijiji Foundation, a registered non-profit organization we founded in 2013 (Registration: NGO-6497).
Our mission is to improve the lives of our people through a variety of community-driven initiatives that create lasting change.
Our On-going Commitment: Moivaro Primary School
Moivaro Primary School is a government-funded school where nearly 1,000 children from the surrounding villages attend Grades 1 to 7. In fact, a number of The Vijiji Center staff attended Moivaro, and one of our fathers taught there for 50 years, so it holds a special place in our hearts and minds. The school also has a program for approximately 50 special needs children.
The Vijiji Foundation started working with Moivaro in 2013. Since then, through cooperation with many generous international partners, we have successfully:
- Planted vegetable gardens for the school lunch program and to teach the children about bio-intensive and organic farming practices; Global Seminar Program, University of British Columbia, Canada.
- Refurbished a series of classrooms, including painting walls, pouring cement floors, and adding news windows; Pymble Ladies’ College, Australia and the Global Seminar Program, University of British Columbia, Canada.
- Created and printed English/Swahili storybooks to help students in English-language learning; Go Global Seminar Program, University of British Columbia, Canada.
- Constructed new washrooms with running water to replace the existing ones which lacked water and were nearly 40 years old. Silver Star Rotary Club, Vernon, British Columbia and the Global Seminar Program, University of British Columbia, Canada.
- Provided 40 new wooden desks to create more seating for the classrooms; TES The School in Africa, Denmark (www.tesdenmark.com).
- Provided electricity to the Main Office and purchased new computers and a printer for Moivaro staff; Pymble Ladies’ College, Australia.
Future plans at Moivaro Primary School
While we’ve accomplished much, there’s still more to do for the children at Moivaro! Our future plans include:
- Providing solar power to the school.
- Constructing a washroom for the physically disabled children.
- Purchasing wheelchairs and other necessary equipment for the special needs’ students.
- Continuing the on-going work of repairing and maintaining the classrooms.
By staying with us at The Vijiji Center, you are helping us to create positive change in our community. If you or your group would like to donate time, money or materials to the various Moivaro projects, or have one you’d like to initiate, just let us know by completing the form below. Asante sana!